Birds of the same feather......

⊆ 5:39 PM by Kola | , . | ˜ 2 comments »



A couple of years ago I noticed that my long-standing romance with cRap** music had began to dissipate. I began to lose interest in music that I perceived as weightless. You know it's a problem when you like a song/single for 2 weeks and by the third week you cant even remember the hook or the songs thesis.

As this got worse I found myself pulling from the archives, records by artists like Gang Starr, Nas, EPMD, Wu-tang became staples on the rotation. Along the way I caught wind of a couple underground/ cult/not-major label artists (terms I dislike) like MF Doom and Count Bass D. A connection was instantly made with Count Bass D's music and this quickly evolved into an expansion of my musical sphere.

This post is not about Count Bass D (expect a post on Count soon.)

One of the artists I discovered through my interest in Count Bass D's music is Jneiro Jarel. This MC/Beatsmith, is indeed a rare gem. N.A.S.A is one of my favorite tracks on the album; Three Piece Puzzle, released in 2005. This album is choke full of tracks that will sound very big coming out of your sound system or headphones. Jneiro's music has a cosmic feel to it, a spacey sound that lends itself to a sensation of timelessness. In today's crowded music scene this artist remains unique.

To avoid confusion I will venture to tell you that Jnerio also records under the alias; Dr. Who Dat?, with a new album; Beat Journey released this year.

** I jacked this very descriptive term from the good folks at dallaspenn


2 Responses to Birds of the same feather......

  1. Anonymous Says:
    This song respresents rap on another diminsion, I do feel that sense of timelessness..........
  2. Anonymous Says:
    Flock together!

    This is one of those albums that took me months to completely sink into... but it wasn't that I didnt realize its beauty upon first listen. I had a hard time getting past Big Bang Theory for the first week ;)

= Leave a Reply